Pages

Thursday, February 02, 2006

On the merits of letting go

Like a lot of people my age, I have a couple hundred record albums dating from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. Somewhere there, I stopped buying records, or they stopped making them; I can't remember which. Anyway, I was at the Goodwill the other day looking for books to destroy for my Dreams Project, when I spied it. Crates and crates of old record albums. What could you do with these things? I don't even own a record player anymore. I flipped through a few, looking at their artistic merit, or lack thereof, and then it hit me. I bet you could spiff up these things and they'd be a great wealth of cheap ideas. So I went home and found my album collection, and decided that yes, it was time to let go. Here is my first altered album cover, Steppenwolf's At Your Birthday Party. I suspect there are several more of these to come. I am already ruminating on Breakfast in America. That woman needs some tattoos...

No comments: