Pages

Friday, February 03, 2006

Linoleum revisited

So I'm back here, destroying the purity of the print world much more. This is the linoleum block print I was working on a few days ago, although it is almost unrecognizable as a lino print because of all I've done to it. I collaged and painted into it a whole lot, which I think and hope improved it a bit from the stark B&W I started with. It was fun, so I don't care. It is a street scene in Pittsburgh, in a rather notorious area called the Hill District, an area for which the series Hill Street Blues was named, but that is a different story. I lived in Pittsburgh for 9 years; three years getting an MFA at Carnegie-Mellon, and 6 more years because I was too stupid to realize that it was too cold and grey for me to survive. But at some point, my mind thawed, and I retreated to points south, never to shovel out my car again. All in all, Pittsburgh is a lovely city in its own way, and I'm glad for the years there. Go Steelers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the feeling of an old "wild west" sense of Pittsburgh....probably appropriate given what you've inferred in your comments about the area.

Francesca said...

Oh this is sooo good. I always love your industrial/architectural pieces and this is no exception!

katat0nik said...

You painted & collaged this piece perfectly. The buildings look so interesting, love the colors!

Joseph Chiang said...

wow, i have to say that you did the job perfectly!

belindadelpesco.com said...

Hearty Agreement with everyone above, Otto! The block is wonderful, and everything you did to it made it even more so. I love this.
Belinda