Pages

Monday, March 13, 2006

Ornamental Cabbages

Old King Cole was a merry old soul, and a merry old soul was he. I was looking through some old pictures, and I found this picture I had taken of a man in a sort of king's outfit, sitting on the side of a raised bed of ornamental cabbages. He was waiting for his place in a parade or something, I can't quite remember. Anyway, I saw some ornamental cabbages the other day at a shopping mall, and it reminded me of a piece I had done of Old King Cole about a year ago, which is all very confusing, I'm sure. So why do people plant ornamental cabbages, anyway? Can you eat them? If not, who had the brilliant idea that cabbages alongside your bed of pansies would make for great landscaping? Cabbages must have one heck of a PR department.

1 comment:

neilornstein said...

I have always had the uncomfortable idea that ornamental cabages were aliens and have felt a vague sort of repulsion whenever I see them. I don't know why people plant them. They represent an aesthetic that I can't appreciate. Maybe they do represent the vanguard of an invading alien fleet. I see your King Cole fellow as a front man for these malevolent creatures. Did you check to see if he cast a shadow?
REGARDS, NEIL